Sunday, August 31, 2008

There is a Sock in Your Horses Tail!

Saddlebreds are known for many things - one is long flowing tails..but this is not something that just happens on its own. Without care, a horses tail will never be longer than the ground, but with care, I have seen horse tails that drag the ground 8 feet behind them!

Here is how I keep Dominus' tail show ready. First I cross tie the 'beast'! If his tail is dirty, it must be washed and dried before I start.

A long tube sock is used for this. See the E & V hooks? I love them and found them a couple of years ago at ?? (can't remember the name right now!)

I cut the top of the sock in 2 places..

...so I have 2 ties.

This is some Amazing stuff for horse hair. It does not work on human hair, but will get out any knot in horse hair! I always put some of it in his tail before...

..I braid it. The end of the braid is secured with black electrical tape.

I put my hand in the sock..

..wrap the braided tail up..

..and put it in the sock.

I pull 1 tie through the top of the braid..

...and tie it in a knot.

Waa - Laa...There is a sock in my horses tail!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I never knew...see I learn something EVERYDAY! I love that!

Come by and take a peek at what I have a 'brewin' over at my place!

kari and kijsa said...

Thank you for all your prayers and blessings!
Have a wonderful Labor Day,
kari & kijsa

Sometimes It's Good said...

I love it when you talk about taking care of your horses. This is really interesting.

Justabeachkat said...

Gosh, I've learned something new today.

Hugs!
Kat