Friday, September 29, 2017

High's and Lows

Throughout this project we have gone through a series of highs and lows.  It is so much fun to reach a place you have only dreamed about - a few examples of that would be when the framing started to go up and you could see the outline of the house, when the sheet rock went in and all that open space all of a sudden became individual rooms and just recently when the light fixtures were installed.

Sadly yesterday was a low day for me.  For one - Mike is out of town at a training conference.  On top of that the guy came to spec out the install for the appliances and he found LOTS of problems.  The flooring we chose is thicker than regular tile - so it essentially raised the level and shortened the measurements of the openings for both the dish washer and the refrigerator.  The refrigerator opening is too low on one side by 1/4 of an inch, while the dishwasher missed the mark by 3/4 of an inch.  We also are missing a piece to secure the washer on one side of the interior of the cabinet.  The vent hood opening was cut to the actual size of the hood, so it is way too big AND there does not seem to be an actual vent pipe going into the attic.  Wow - where do you go with that???

The oven is a whole different issue.  First off - the electrical connection was installed way too low, so that has to be raised and I have come to the realization that I have to have something changed in the kitchen that will be quite costly - or it will drive me nuts.  The double oven opening is so low, it feels like it is at my feet.  We purchased ovens with side opening doors and one reason was because it is so much easier on our backs, but having the units so low defeats that purpose.....and now I am not sure what to do.  Changing it will cost a LOT of money and I am so angry at myself for not seeing this until late in the process.  When I did notice it - I thought I could make it work, but as time goes on - I just do not like it ......

WHAT SHOULD I DO???  Can you see how low the oven opening is?


No comments: