Tuesday, May 3, 2011

My Dad is Not Doing Well..

He now weighs less than 120 - probably closer to 110. It hurts to look at him. Last night I took my computer so he could see pictures of a Sidesaddle demo I did in San Angelo, TX. Go to www.ridingaside.blogspot.com if you want to see them.

I could tell he was having a hard time concentrating and an even harder time talking to me. The nurses said that he is refusing most of his meals and will opt to just drink some orange juice..maybe taking a piece of chocolate every once in a while. They are so good to him and I am so thankful for that.

5 years ago Dad came out to the farm hoping to witness something he has never seen before - the birth of a foal. For those of you who do not know.. I have horse friends who have never seen this because when it happens ... it is unbelievably fast. Dad stayed at the farm for days and then decided to go back home to Houston. The very day that he left is when she gave birth.. that evening. I was so disheartened. I yelled at God.. You see - it is not often that I get the chance to give my Father anything... not to mention an experience he wanted to be a part of.

Well last year, when we thought that Don was cured of his Hepatitis C, we purchased a stud fee through a Futurity auction. a mere 2 weeks later we found out that he had relapsed. It took me a very long time trying to decide if I wanted to breed the mare.. but upon Don's urging - we did. The wonderful thought occurred to me that Dad could now get his wish and see her give birth! She is due in 3 weeks ... longer if she pulls what she did last time and carried her foal just a few days shy of a full year.

I think that maybe Dad may get to watch .. even if it is from a front row seat in heaven.

2 comments:

Helen said...

We are all with you in spirit ...

Dianne said...

So sorry Julie. I am praying for all of you. You have been amazing this past year and had your hands full. I think your dad raised the perfect daughter! :)