Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Window Box

If you look at the header picture on my blog you are looking at the West facing side of our barn...uhh - home..no barn (whatever!)

That picture was taken right before I put window boxes up. One on each small window, 1 facing East and 1 facing West. As you can imagine, it gets pretty hot in South Texas...and no matter what I did, I could not keep anything alive in the West facing window box....not to mention, this one was difficult and messy to water!

Well, I finally gave up and resorted to using silk flowers. Here they are. What do you think?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have used a few new tools this year to keep our flower pots growing -

1. Miracle Grow Moisture Control Soil (it helps keep the plants watered when they need to be watered, as it slowly allows them the water they need)

2. Cocoa planter liners (http://www.hooksandlattice.com/coconut-liners.html), When I water the plants, I make sure the outside liner is really moist, and these really seem to make a difference in our planting experience this summer.

LBDDiaries said...

I like it! Especially using the type window "box" you did - gave it a realistic look - and you can change out the colors anytime you want, too! Great idea!

Justabeachkat said...

I like!

Hugs!
Kat

nancygrayce said...

I especially like it! I just kill everything I plant, so that would work for me!

Gayla said...

Really beautiful... Really a lovely idea. Silk is the way to go and you don't have the mud raining down the side of your house.

Janice Grinyer said...

very beautiful!

I have a long planter box above my front door that takes direct sun - hard to water - so i use silk too..:)