Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Not Sure What to do..Update on Chrissy


I brought in the package of Advantage for the vet to see. It is the 'real' stuff and not what they thought it might be. The problem is since the seizures came on so quickly, she is acting like she was 'poisoned' by it...especially since this all happened about 1 hour after it was applied to her.

This afternoon I went in to see her - just before lunch. I was hoping that she would recognize me...and maybe I could even get a tail wag from her. What I found was a completely sedated dog. I took a picture of her laying in her sterile crate..with her little IV in her short little arm. The vet approached me..the vet whom I have been working with since this all began. (There are 4 vets in this office) She told me that shortly after I had called that morning Chrissy had started to seize again and they again had to sedate her. It was not good news. She indicated that she NEEDED to get better by tomorrow or.....

I called one of my best friends and asked her to go with me to see Chrissy tonight. She agreed and told me she would even drive. Not one minute after I hung up with her, the vet called again telling me Chrissy was getting worse...now seizing every hour if Valium was not given to her. She indicated that I needed to make a choice since they did not have someone who would be by her side all night - only intermittently.. She could be taken to A&M University or she needed to be put down.

I could not breathe...I could not speak.. .. she had already had had so many seizures and realistically we did not know what was causing them. Normally - if it was a brain tumor, they would come about gradually..not what we were dealing with. I held the phone to my chest. Tears were flooding down my face and I asked the vet to have the bill ready when I got there. I would put her down, but I did not want to have to pay for it after it was done..

Debbie came and drove me there as I explained everything to her. When we arrived, I tried to hide my tears from the other pet owners who were there to pick up their animals. It was useless. Debbie insisted that we talk to the owner of the vet hospital...the "head vet" I suppose you would call him. He looked over her chart and was just as puzzled at to why Chrissy was suffering from this. He looked a bit concerned - turning the pages back and forth and left the room for a moment. I laid the blanket out on the table so that when they brought Chrissy in, she would already be on the blanket I wanted to take her home and bury her in.

The doctor walked back in and told us he wanted to try something else. He had assumed that the first vet had put her on phenobarbital (sp??)..which is another seizure medicine...stronger and more dangerous. He said it would keep her sedated longer and since he was on call that night, he would personally come in to check on her, giving her more if needed.

I wanted to see her. We walked back into the recovery room of crates. She seemed more aware than she was the last time I was there, but still far from conscience. I held her face and kissed her..telling her what a good girl she was...and she started to seize again. It was nothing like the seizures she had had the day before and it only lasted about 30 seconds ..but still..

I decided to let them try the new drug. The vet seemed so compassionate about it. I don't know if I did the right thing. Please tell me what you would have done.
__________________

17 comments:

Susan Ramey Cleveland said...

I would have done just exactly what you did. Give the drug a chance. Praying for Chrissy and for you.

Hosanna said...

I would let them try whatever they can do to help her. I think you did just the right thing. Hope it helps her get better.

Bee said...

I would have done the same thing, too. I tried to imagine being in your position with my precious Gracie laying there and it just about broke my heart. I'm so sorry for Chrissy and hope the new med works and she improves quickly. If it helps at all, they put children with seizure disorders on phenobarbital sometimes, too.

Joy said...

:'( I love you!

vivian said...

I would have done the same thing that you did. Julie.. I'm so sorry that youre going through this. I will be praying hard for little chrissy tonight. I hope they can figure out why this is happening to her. will be back tomorrow to see whats next.
HUGS!!!!!!!!
vivian

Dianne said...

This has made me so sad. The picture is heart breaking. Please know I would try everything I could too. I am praying for your sweet pup tonight. I hope you have good news tomorrow. Be strong.
xoxo

Gayla said...

Definitely give her a chance with the new drug. You did exactly right. I am so upset for you. Hugs.

Vickie H. said...

I would have done exactly what you did. We will keep Chrissy in our prayers and the rest of your family as well. And I forwarded a link to your blog to a dear friend who only a day ago put this very same chemical on her cats and some of her dogs! VERY scary!
God be with you.

Vickie

Anonymous said...

I experienced something similar with my little dog after applying Sergeants flea and tick. It was a horrible experience, but, my sweet dog did recover!

My suggestion- Is there another clinic/vet that you can transfer Chrissy to that will monitor her during the evening hours? I would definitely not let this clinic put her down without giving her a chance to recover.

If I may be of any help to you to let you know ofmy experience with my dog, please E-mail me at pycocoa1@ aol.com.

Praying for strength for you and healing for your beloved Chrissy.

Sincerely,
Penny

Ginger said...

HI Julie:
It's so hard to read this and not tear up. Reminds me of watching Marley and Me recently. I have had to make this decision for 2 of my pets and it's so heart wrenching. I would give the phenobarbitol a chance to work. They used that on my mom when they thought she was having seizures, but it made her like a zombie. Maybe the dose was too strong.
I have to ask you something, wasn't Chrissy the dog that hit by the car a while back and was having problems with her balance?
I hope it's not related in any way, if it was the same dog. You will be in my prayers and so will Chrissy. You will do the right thing, I know you don't want her to suffer, if the meds don't work.
Ginger

Jill said...

I would have done the same thing. I'm also glad the "head vet" was willing to try something else. Large vet bills are a major stumbling block for many pet owners but for our furkids I'm willing. Usually the hospital and vet will work with you. Sending you a huge hug and a schnauzer snuggle. Stay strong. We're pulling for Miss Chrissy. Due to your blog I called my vet who is always open to owner input.

Brenda Eason said...

Oh my gosh my heart is breaking. i so feel your pain. I just went out on my deck and set there and cried.I was calling the dogs because I always let them out to potty at night. It hit me Jersey is gone. He will never run,jump and lick me again.
Girl as long as you have the money go for it!
I pray you get some peace.
Big hugs,Brenda

RiverBend Farm said...

Oh, Julie, I would have definitely tried the different drug. I would try everything. Right now she's comfortable. You'll know the right time and the right thing to do. My prayers are with you and Chrissy.

Nina Diane said...

oh Julie, I had tears in my eyes reading this. I hope she did ok through the night. ~hugs~

Cathy said...

{{Julie}} I would not have done anything different! Post when you can..

{{Big Hugs and Prayers}}

Cathy

for the love of a house said...

I would have done exactly the same thing you did. You trusted your heart and that is always the right thing.
joan

Neabear said...

Giving someone another chance whether human or animal is always good, because you just never know. That chance could be the one that works.