Monday, March 23, 2009

My Birthday - Chapter 25



Tuesday March 17Th

What were we thinking I thought as we sat in the waiting room of the doctors office? I met Don there as I always did, with my hands full carrying a vase of the most beautiful red roses that he sent to me for my birthday.

"Why did you bring those in with you?" Don asked.

"I am not going to let these beauties fry outside in the car! I love them!" I closed my eyes to smell them again.

We had plans that night to go out to eat at my favorite restaurant, Jasper's. It was a restaurant that we went to for the first time a couple of years ago when we were again dating and trying to restore our marriage...a restaurant that held many special memories for us.

When it was our turn and the doctor entered the exam room, he held Don's folder in his hands. He reconfirmed the date for the Viral Load test and removed the CBC paperwork.

"All your counts are still good. No Nupogen shot needed today since your white blood cell count is 2800." Don smiled. "Your platelet count is down a bit though." he said tracing his finger down the paper.

I froze. This is what I had feared and I bit my lip.

"It is down to 56,000, a drop of 3,000, but it is still in an acceptable range." He read from the lab results.

I knew this was still an acceptable number as he said, but my brain started to grind and I could not help but wonder if it was going to continue to go down and then what? We had already reduced his Interferon down to half a dose. Can we reduce it more? Would that be effective on the disease or might his count still continue to go down?

"Shut up brain...SHUT UP!" I silently told myself. "Today is not the day to think about it and furthermore WHERE IS YOUR FAITH JULIE?" I put it out of my head and let it go.

We got his paperwork for the next lab tests he needed and headed out the door.... and had the most romantic and relaxing dinner ever!

11 comments:

Sometimes It's Good said...

I'm so glad you had happy news on your birthday! Think good thoughts. We'll keep praying!
Hugs, Susan

vivian said...

Im glad your evening was not ruined with bad news and that you were able to enjoy each others precious company on your birthday!
hugs!
vivian

Nina Diane said...

Happy late Birthday......glad ya'll had a wonderful evening. You both really deserve it

Helen said...

Hi there this morning! So glad you celebrated your birthday with a special dinner and red roses. And at a place that held such significant memories ... I didn't know you had hit a rough patch but am thrilled you were able to get beyond it. I wish I had been that focused way back when .. life would have been much different I suspect.

Anonymous said...

I am so happy you were able to celebrate your birthday, Julie!!

I published my 300th post yesterday. I'd love to have you drop by and sign up for the giveaway.

bj said...

So great that you celebrated your birthday together. I had forgotten that you two had troubles once and were working on getting back together.
I'm pretty much gonna have to know pretty soon if Don is ok now!!!!!!!

Vintage Linen Treasures said...

I'm so glad you were able to focus on the good, and make your brain not think about the other.

Happy Late Birthday!! My birthday is this month, too! I'll be turning, gulp, 45 this week. Not looking forward to it. However, I am looking forward to how we're celebrating. We're going to the Roundtop, TX antique show and staying at a B&B for a few days while we're there.
Patricia :o)

Ginger said...

Your roses are so pretty. I'm glad you were able to go out and celebrate with all that is going on.
Ginger

Cathy said...

{{BIG HUGE HUGS}} and Happy "belated" Birthday!

Cathy

Michelle said...

Oh I'm so glad it was good news and you got to enjoy a wonderful evening together!! Happy Birthday! What lovely roses. :)

cotedetexas said...

Happy Birthday ! I love that
shut up Julie!!! - does that work?