Thursday, August 21, 2008

Meet Chastain.

Chastain is a full blooded American Saddlebred Horse with what we call "The Hair Gene"! He is the newest horse owned and loved by everyone at Equus Villa. Although he has lived on the farm for almost 2 years, he only became ours about 2 months ago. Chastain has an interesting story to tell:


Chastain came to our farm when a former boarder purchased him at a local auction. The first time I saw him, I knew instantly he was not only a Saddlebred, but by the way his mane was trimmed and the shoes he was wearing, I knew he was a former registered show horse. I was right. The only paperwork he had was a Vet health record. This thankfully had his registered name upon it.

With his registered name, I found out he was first donated to SIRE by a local show barn. Although a kind horse, Chastain is full of energy, so SIRE unloaded him at this auction. His 10 foot long tail had been cut off. Tail's that long can easily be sold for thousands of dollars. Several days after the auction, we discovered he was terribly lame in one of his front feet. He was most likely drugged to mask the injury for the auction.My boarder went as far as sending Chastain all the way up to Texas A&M Vet hospital trying to find out what was wrong with him. The results were inconclusive and the only thing that can help Chastain is to nerve him. Since then, my boarder suffered a terrible life changing tragedy in her life and she signed Chastain over to me. I want to get him nerved so he will no longer feel the pain in that foot, but it is terribly expensive. I have been working hard at trying to get him re-registered into my name, but so far I have not been successful. It would help to justify the cost of this procedure and then I would have the option of even showing him if I so choose.

5 comments:

Sometimes It's Good said...

Chastain is just gorgeous! I hope he gets over his foot problem. You can tell I know nothing about horses. It's kind of a shame because my father and brother both were excellent riders. My dad grew up on a small ranch and rode all the time. I was raised a city girl so I missed out on the horses. My brother took up riding as a grown up. I love when you talk about your horses and how to train them and their stories.

nefaeria said...

He is absolutely beautiful! It's nice to see a horsey-blog that is dedicated to a breed that I don't see talked about often :)

SlĂ inte!

Laurel

Unknown said...

Oh the poor baby :( He is just stunning!! I sure hope you are able to have his foot fixed. I cant stand it when animals are hurt and suffering. Just a beautiful horse!!!

Hugs,
Amy

Justabeachkat said...

What a beauty!

Hugs!
Kat

Unknown said...

Chastainis gorgeous, nut instead of nerving, try dac Herbal Respond, to help him cope with the pain. www.feeddac.com. I use and work for the company and am a firm believer in the product, and I was before I started working for the company. I'm not trying to advertise, I just am offering an alternative to nerving! Love the blog!