Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Steeped in Tradition

My Mother was 100% Swedish, so I grew up with Tumta's instead of Santa's, the traditional Santa Lucia ceremony and saying God Yul along with Merry Christmas. Mom gave this "Tumta" to my husband when he adopted my daughters.

Here is a little Santa Lucia candle holder.

This is a small wall hanging that belonged to my Grandmother, then my Mom and now me! Sadly during a flood one year, my Mother lost ALL of her antique Swedish Tumta's - some were over a 100 years old and had rabbit fur beards. I cried that day...along with my Mom.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Julie, how beautiful! What wonderful memories. Thank you so much for sharing these with us!

Amy

FrenchGardenHouse said...

I love these Julie. And especially the Tumta your Mom gave your husband, what a touching gift, and so sweetly appropriate!
Lidy