Monday, November 15, 2010

If I Had A Bucket List...

..I could scratch off "Ride an Elephant"!



















We went to the Renaissance Festival on Sunday. It is a huge event that happens once a year in the tiny town where we live.... I will not lie.. the last time I went was 27 years ago. The only thing that has changed is that it is bigger... There is a reason that it has been so many years since I have gone.. It is something that is taunted as a "Family Event" and to say the least - there are a LOT of things at this fest that are NOT family oriented. In between many of the plays that are of adult nature and humor - to the way both patrons and employees dress ... leave little to the imagination. Now combine that with LOTS of alcohol and you can only begin to imagine. The weekend traffic during this 6 week event is horrible and I am very sad to say that I do not believe there has ever been a year where at least 1 person did not die...almost always involving alcohol and a car accident.

The last time I went, something happened to my daughter who was only 2 1/2 at the time that really offended me.. and when I left, my thought was, "What a shame because this Fest could be so much more. It could really be a lesson in history ... but it is not". My thoughts this year were the same. So although there were elephant, camel and llama rides, jousting demonstrations, nice vendors displaying some unique handmade items and beautiful scenery... there were also drunks, beyond vulgarity in many of the plays, and sleazy (beyond description!) dressed women.

Don received free tickets, which normally run $22.00 each. He had never been and my son-in-law also wanted to go..so off we went. Parking was free, but once you get in, you still have to pay for many of the attractions. My opinion, sadly has not changed.

4 comments:

Jennifer MacNeill said...

Cool ride! Sounds a bit like our Ren Faire, lot's of bare breasts and alcohol. The jousting's fun though:)

Gayla said...

Those must have been bawdy times. Old Chaucer may have been tame compared to the faires!

Anonymous said...

Oh, my! Great photos and looks like fun.

Justabeachkat said...

Well, at least you got a few good photos...and something to post about. LOL

Hugs,
Kat