Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Hospital Stay - Part 3

Late Monday evening I became more aware of my suroundings. My mouth was very dry but did not hurt. I discovered a numb spot about the size of a grapefruit on the outer side of my upper left thigh. I had a morphene pump and although I tried not to use it much, I found myself squirming around in discomfort every 15 minutes or so. I was allowed to push it every 10 and later was repremanded by a rather large and commanding nurse for waiting until I hurt to use it! Later that night another nurse came in to take out my cathater. I was more than ready to rid myself of that bondage but understood that from that moment on it was up to me to get to the bathroom if I needed (with help of course!)

0245 and I found myself wide awake. The last time someone came to check on me I asked to have my things placed within my reach. I grabbed my cell phone and started writting text messages to my family and friends. I received quite a few funny returns when they saw what time I had written to them! Everything was backwards for me though. I had slept all day and was now wide awake.

Dad arrived just as I was finishing up my breakfast. He was ready to get me up and going. I was game. I was thankful that just a few weeks earlier my oldest daughter Emily, had helped me to pick out a few gowns for my stay. I had already changed out of the traditonal Flasher style, Thin as chiffon, View your breasts though the huge arm holes, Hospital Gown! Not only did I NOT want strangers to look at my body as I was recovering...but I had NO desire to look at the other "Hall Walkers" bodies as they passed my room!

Dad helped me to the side of the bed. He waited patiently as I scooted off the side and onto my feet. It took a moment to stand straight..as if I was stretching and unfolding myself. He attached a strap about me just under my breasts. It was there so if I started to lose my balance, he (my 85 year old Dad) could grab the strap to steady me. I was glad he did not have to use it. We made a short stroll up and down the hall.

When I returned to my room I noticed a beautiful bouquet of fresh assorted flowers was waiting for me. Dad handed me the card. It was from one of my best friends, Debbie. They were stunning and I don't think she will ever know how much they meant to me.

Later that afternoon my youngest daughter Joy, came to see me. She came bearing an important gift... fresh fruit and soft peppermints! Soon I am going to post a list of things I wish someone had told me I would NEED to get through this kind of operaton...and soft mints was one of them!

...to be continued


Kat said...

Thinking of you and hoping you're improving quickly.


vivian said...

JUlie, Yeah!! your survived!! I knew you would, and you still have your sweet sense of humor! the breast through the armholes made me laugh!
hang in there Julie! you'll feel more and more better everyday!

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

It's quite a journey!

I remember that morphine pump. I didn't know why I was nauseated the entire time I was in the hospital. Couldn't walk without becoming quite dizzy and absolutely could not eat.
I was also reprimanded for not pushing the button!:-). My surgery was Friday morning. Bright and early Sunday morning my surgeon was in and told me I could go home, if I would eat something. I told him how I felt and he said...we'll remove that IV, that is what is making you sick! Anyway, after that, I was able to eat and went home, for more adventures.
At the end of the journey, I was amazed how much better I felt, after many many years of pain and discomfort. I continue to be thankful for that journey, to this day.
You have my thoughts and prayers, as you continue the adventure of recovery.

Hosanna said...

Yummm- soft peppermints. :) Glad you're feeling better