Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Thrift & Resale Shopping Tips

I have a few rules I use when I go thrift shopping and I wanted to share them with you.

1. If you like silver like I do, take your time when looking. Silver can be so tarnished it can look horrible - so look for the intricate design of the piece and not the tarnish.
2. Some shops separate items in different categories. One shop I was in had brass and copper in one area and silver in another. I found an extremely tarnished silver item in the brass section.
3. Don't buy it if you don't have the time, money or patience to clean, repair or refurbish it! (that goes for anything)
4. Don't overlook the clothes! For years I have only looked at kitchen ware...was I ever shocked at the deal I have found on designer clothes!
5. The smaller your size, the more likely you are to find exceptional clothes in resale or thrift stores. It is a national fact that the wealthier the person is, the more likely they are to be thin.
6. When I look at clothes, I ALWAYS look at the brand name, even before I look at the item. A good brand name tells me if it is made well and with some designers, how it is sized. Just a few of the exquisite clothing items I have found: an Anne Klein evening dress to die for($8.00), several Kasper jackets ($8.00) and skirts($5.00), tons of Ralph Lauren shirts($5.00), Brighton belts($1.50). I am PICKY PICKY PICKY about my clothing. My friends who do not know about my thrift shopping think I spend thousands. The prices posted are the highest I have paid for that item.

No comments: